Boarding & Pastoral Care
- MIS offers three apartment buildings with state-of-the-art facilities, providing a living area of 10,000 square metres.
- Inheriting Merchiston’s boarding house system, MIS provides a family-style boarding system with high quality child protection and safeguarding policies and procedures. The boarding system allows the housemaster and teachers to pay close attention to students both in and out of the classroom and also helps students to build relationships and to care for others.
- The school dining hall provides healthy and balanced menus using organic ingredients where possible and implements the highest standards of food quality and safety, to ensure that the students’ dining experience is not only delicious and palatable but safe and healthy.
- The school works together with a committee of parents to build a warm, harmonious and mutually satisfying space for learning.
Other school support services include eco-friendly school buses, on-campus clinic with dental/ophthalmic
services, learning support, higher education support, careers support, psychological and other counselling.
Boarding at MIS offers a wealth of opportunities to encourage the all-round development of both the individual and the community. We want our students to be fulfilled and happy and, at the minimum, this means they must feel secure and as such are properly cared for by well qualified and experienced people who are well disposed to children and continually updated through appropriate continuous professional development training.
Our aims are underpinned by the following principles which reflect the way that everyone in our community should expect to be treated
· With dignity and respect
· With compassion
· To be included
· To have access to responsive care and support
· Supported and consulted about their wellbeing
Students are placed in one of three, age appropriate, boarding houses giving them the opportunity to mix with a range of people of different genders, talents, cultures and backgrounds and are cared for by a Houseparent, who lives on site alongside a number of other resident tutors promoting a strong family atmosphere. There is also a fully staffed medical centre to support your child should they become ill.
Boarding students will follow the same pattern of working day as other students and after their evening meal will have structured homework time overseen by a member of staff on duty before some social time and bedtime.
At weekends boarders at MIS will have access to a variety of activities offered by members of staff that are on duty. Some of these activities will be on site whilst others will give students the opportunity to venture further afield under the guidance of experienced members of staff. There will also be the opportunity for students to manage their own time and carry out independent study.
We encourage students to be as fully involved throughout the working week and weekends and we believe that, under the guidance of the dedicated and experienced staff who live with them, each and every student will reach his or her full potential and be part of a rich and engaging community that allows the students to broaden their horizons and learn important skills and social and human values that complement their academic development.